November 1, 2016

My Trip to New England // October 2016

Happy first day of November!
I hope you are well. It's been quiet around here as I was gone for a week visiting my sister in the North East then to Lake Tahoe with friends - but it sure is nice to be home now.

Boy, was the weather and the vacation gods not in my favor for my east coast trip. My adventure started off pretty stressful - with a missed flight where I had to purchase a brand new ticket - then to my sister's apartment flooding right as I landed into Boston, so I had to stay in a hotel my first night - to crazy cold, windy, rainy weather, so my sister caught the flu - this delightful little trip was turning into a vacation from my worst nightmare. However, the visit wasn't a total loss and there were happy moments that crept in between times of craziness.

A little recap of my trip :)

Newport Mansions - Newport, Rhode Island


I never really thought of going to Rhode Island, but since it's just a short bus ride/ train ride away from Boston - my sister and I hopped on a bus to checkout some mansions from the Gilded Age. The weather wasn't the most ideal for mansion hopping with lots of wind, however, the sun was out allowing us to walk from mansion to mansion. We also did a bit of the cliff walk before the coastal wind got to us.

My sister and I did a quick day trip, however, I suggest doing an overnight trip to have more time to peruse all 5 mansions (we only had time for 2 - Rosecliff, where The Great Gatsby was filmed, and the infamous Breakers) and enjoy the cute downtown in Newport.

The photos above are from the Breakers Mansion.

Harvard Square - Cambridge, MA
My sister has always lived right around Harvard Square (she actually lives in Cambridge and not in Boston proper), so I love visiting this cute little area. There are so many nice boutiques and restaurants and weather permitting, it's a lovely place to walk around.

We headed to Harvard Square a couple of times during my trip. The first was to see the Head of the Charles Regatta - again if the weather had been a bit warmer, we would have stayed much longer at this event. My sister has gone plenty of times, but this was my first time. This event is a race for rowers from all around the world and there are several vendors promoting their products at the event, so you get a lot of free samples and goodies.

I definitely got my caramel apple fix here as well :)

We also had dinner in one of the cute restaurants the last night of my trip - Alden & Harlow. The staff here is so accommodating when I informed them of my gluten and dairy allergies - why am I allergic to life?


Fall Foliage - Salem, New Hampshire


Of course I had to take a picture with the big cut-out pumpkin!

My main reason for visiting my sister in the fall - other than to spend time with her -  was to see fall in New England! I've visited my sister a couple of times in autumn, but it was always after the peak of leaf peeping season. However, this visit, I was just in time to see all the vivid colors. There's really no one specific spot for viewing fall foliage as it's all around New England, but there is a famous highway that people recommend in New Hampshire, Kancamagus Highway. We didn't have enough time to check out this famous highway, but we did get a glimpse of the leaves in Salem, NH.

Some other quaint and cute places to visit in Boston are: Newbury Street, Boston Commons (I think it's so beautiful with the water and trees), and Charles Street.

If the weather had been permitting (i.e. no crazy wind and torrential downpours), I would have done a lot more outdoor activities, but the unpredictable New England weather did not work in my favor this time. I still had so much fun catching up with my sister and hearing about her crazy summer travels to South East Asia and Europe.

Hope you had a fun, safe, and happy Halloween! My night was spent indoors - recuperating from my trips - boring, yes, haha.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Michelle Belle Loves. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig